The Lingaraja Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Harihara, another name for Shiva and is one of the oldest temples of Bhubaneswar,Orissa,India.
Built by the Somavanshi king Jajati Keshari, in 11th century CE.It represents the quintessence of the Kalinga type of architecture. The temple is more than 1100 years old,though there is evidence that parts of the temple have been there since sixth century CE as the temple has been emphasized in some of the seventh century Sanskrit texts.
The Lingaraja temple is located in a spacious courtyard covering over 250000 sq feet and is bounded by fortified walls. Its tower rises up to 180 feet and is elaborately carved.
150 smaller shrines in its spacious courtyard and is surrounded by massive walls lavishly decorated with beautiful sculptures.