The Black Church is a cathedral in Braşov, a city in south-eastern Transylvania, Romania. The Black Church, the largest gothic church between Viena (Wien) and Istanbul.
The work began between 1383 and 1385. Completed during the 15th century (soon after 1476), the church belongs to the final stages of Gothic architecture.
The church was given its new name after disaster struck again in 1689, when the 'Great Fire, set by Habsburg invaders, leveled most of the town, heavily damaged the church, blackening its walls.