The mansion, built by order of pre-revolutionary millionaire saharozavodchika Pavel Ivanovich Kharitonenko in 1899, architect Vasily Zaleski, interior decoration and design in the style of Art Nouveau Gothic - FO Shekhtel. After 1917 the house went the Foreign Office. First, there lived only foreign mission in the red of the RSFSR - the Danish Red Cross, then - the prominent foreign visitors. The building stayed English writer and publicist, Herbert George Wells (1866-1946), were FI Chaliapin, and AN Scriabin. British Prime Minister - Winston Churchill, Anthony Eden, Harold Wilson, Margaret Thatcher also stayed here during their visits to the USSR.