This castle is probably the most photographed in Scotland, if not the whole of the UK. The original fortification dates back to the 13th century, and saw much action over the next 500 years. It lay derelict for two hundred years, until 1911, when John Macrae-Gilstrap bought the island, and spent the next twenty years reconstructing it to original plans. It was completed in 1932. It has been used for many cinema productions, most notably the Highlander series.