The Latvian Museum of Photography is the only museum in Riga devoted to photography. The museum is a division of the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation and is open for visitors since 1993. It is situated in an old merchant building from the 16th century, and in the exhibition halls the renovated colorful wall paintings and the historic parquet flooring ornament can be seen. The author of the permanent exposition “Development of Photography in Latvia. 1839 – 1940” is the historian Peteris Korsaks who has worked for many years in the Museum of the History of Riga and Navigation and the Latvian Museum of Photography. The exhibition is installed in the halls on the second floor, but the temporary expositions are exhibited on the third floor. In the museum exhibitions of Latvian and foreign photographers and scientific conferences are organized, as well as the museum's stored collections are exhibited on a regular basis. An authentic painted background used in the photo studio of photographer Martins Luste in Mazsalaca in the beginning of the 20th century can also be viewed in the museum. In addition to the exposition and other exhibitions, the museum experts offer tours, lectures and consultations.
Photo Taken On: January 15th, 2008